Friday, June 25, 2010

Here goes my best attempt to pack two exciting weeks into one blog entry…bear with me :)





As the “abnormal” things about this mysterious place shift from nuisances to normalicies, I am faced with a new giant to conquer. Its name, “Communication.”
Cross-cultural communication, to be exact.
All throughout last week, I began to realize that I no longer thought twice about the cracked, warped mirror in the bathroom, the spiders who live in the corners of my bedroom, the geckos who scurry across my window and walls, the lack of running water and flushing toilets, the fact that I never truly feel “clean”, the chanting of children as I walk by, “Mundala! Mundala!” or the fact that the internet has the most unpredictable attitude and chooses to work only when IT wishes to…these have all become “normal” to me. But, as these things no longer take much of my brain power or emotional energy, I realize that something else has taken their place. What an emotionally draining task it is to try and live and communicate in a culture that is basically opposite (in many ways) from your own. I SO badly wish that I could communicate my heart with the people here, but it is quite the challenge when there is a huge mountain to climb over: language. You can only say “mbote! Nsango na yo?” so many times…I want to know these beautiful people and create a relationship with them, but I’m realizing that that goal is quite hard to obtain (I dare say impossible…) when there MUST be a translator mediating the conversation.
Which is why I’ve come to two conclusions (along with many others…):
1) I am SO ready to learn French at school this coming year…!!!
and 2) I would love to meet more Congolese who speak English fluently :)
And you know what? I can’t say this enough…GOD IS SO GREAT!! This second desire is a prayer that has been answered! Just this week, I had the chance to meet a Congolese Bible translator who lived in Nairobi for 3 years and studied English so that he could attend a Theology school. It couldn’t have been more perfect. He spoke perfect (well, perfect enough…!!) English and we were able to have a “heart-to-heart” about Congo and what people here go through. But, before I enter into an update on this exciting week, let me back up just a bit first and fill you in on last weeks adventures…


(Mmmm...coconut!)

Last week, along with the challenging shift in my “culture shock” period (with communication issues), I was also able to do some very enjoyable things! I spent quite a bit of time with the VDM’s. I loved having the opportunity to get to know them better as we played music together, went for bike rides around Isiro (I learned how to carry Michelle on the back of my bike!), played soccer and volleyball with their German missionary friends…and so many other lovely things. Even washing dishes and making meals has been so fun to do together! We also put together a drama (in Lingala) and performed it in a small community/neighborhood in Isiro called “Gumba.” That was a challenging experience for me, as I had to speak in Lingala!! It went well and we enjoyed performing it for Jesus and the 15 or so kids who came to watch us (as well as Marian and another parent of one of the actresses…such dedicated and loyal parents!!) Overall, even though it has been difficult for me to truly feel connected sometimes, God is so faithful and has been my dear Companion through it all.

Also, on Saturday, Marian and I went to visit the president of "CECCA 16" churches in Congo (the church that the VDM’s attend. All the protestant churches have been given numbers here). And this president is actually the one who wrote an invitation letter so that I could enter the country!! It was a very fascinating conversation…he asked me about America and about what “independence” looks like and means for us (DRC is “celebrating” their 50th anniversary of independence on June 30th…that’s a whole other conversation in itself…) The president asked what the people were like in America…I told him that many people see independence as a way for an individual to have the “freedom” to HAVE a goal and to work until that goal is achieved. I explained that, in my opinion, people are not only independent in their freedom of speech and work, but people are also choosing to live in “freedom” and independence from GOD. People want to do things on their own, climb the ladder by themselves. Be their own creator. His response… “It’s the exact opposite here. People are so dependent on God or the government that they are lazy. They expect someone else to do everything for them. Most people go to God only when they need something from Him. It is something that the leaders of the church must strive to change in the hearts of the people.” I found his word choice of “lazy” to be so surprising…How is it that these people who carry 50 kg on their head for miles and miles are “LAZY”?! It is a question that I am still struggling to fully understand.
It’s incredible how you just can’t get away from it…no matter where you go, every culture has their own way of abusing their relationship with God. And yet God is so merciful and is gracious enough to allow us to enjoy things about each culture around the world. Although we constantly either avoid Him or go to Him ONLY when we need something, He still pours out His love through MILLIONS of different ways!!
Now THAT is true love.

Well, as for this week…I took a bit of an adventure!!
On Monday, I rode on the back of a motorbike to Ibambi, a village about 65 km South of Isiro (about a 4 hour journey due to “road” conditions…). It was beautiful riding through small villages and vast jungles. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I waved, smiled and said “mbote!” during those 4 hours. People here have the most beautiful smiles, when they choose to show them :) Question for you…Have you ever seen nail polish being sold in the middle of a jungle? I have. Balancing on a plate on top of a little boy’s head, actually. The things you see here…only in Africa. Once we reached Ibambi, I enjoyed my 24 hour visit at a small mission where ECG was working on a Bible translation of Matthew in two local languages: Lika and Bundu. This is where God answered my prayer for an English-speaking Congolese! As I sat and talked with Anzabate(“An-sea-pah-tee”) after dinner, I was beaming from excitement as we conversed together…no mediator translating our every word…a wonderful conversation about his life and my own. He even knew about Trinity Western!! All my heart could do was smile at Jesus, knowing full well that He had put together this bright moment. He had answered my prayer. (Now I need to do MY part and work hard to learn THEIR language! At least ONE of their languages…how would you like to be fluent in 5+ languages, and that be the “norm”?! Amazing what our minds are capable of.)

Following my stay in Ibambi, I traveled by motorbike to Nebobongo, about a 40 minute ride back towards Isiro. And then began three days of great excitement! I stayed with a German couple (Matthias and Sebina) who are working as doctors at the hospital there in Nebo (it was founded by Helen Rosaveare, a woman that I had read about while I was in Bible school!) Matthias is a family physician and Sabina works in maternity at the hospital. I had originally planned to stay Tuesday-Wednesday, but my plans seemed to have been thwarted by GOD’s plan…that seems to happen quite a lot, but ALWAYS for the best of reasons; and let me tell you, His reasons are literally the BEST (more on that in a minute…!!)

While in Nebobongo, I spent quite a bit of the morning time just reading and relaxing, which I think my mind and body needed! (I’ve been reading C.S. Lewis the past 2 weeks…The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters. Fantastic reads!) On Tuesday, Jonas (a German college student who has spent his “social year” here in Congo teaching English in Nebo) gave me a grand tour of Nebo and the school that he worked at (the school year JUST finished!) It’s amazing what the people here call “school”…it’s just SO different from what I’ve grown up with. I really enjoyed hearing about Jonas’ experience teaching. I’m so glad that I’m taking the TESL certificate at Trinity!

On Wednesday, I did something that I’ve been DREAMING of doing since I was a little girl…I ventured by foot into the jungles of Congo!!! Well, to some degree, at least :) Jonas and I walked through the jungle to find the Pygmy village! They didn’t speak any French (Jonas speaks French), and I only speak a VERY limited amount of Lingala, but through Jonas’ French and my Lingala, we were able to communicate a little bit with these dear people. They played their “talking drum” for us and let us take some photos with them! Very cool. In the afternoon with Sabina, I got a grand tour of the hospital! It was incredible seeing an African hospital…the maternity ward, the operation/surgery building…many of the nurses graduated from a nursing school that was founded by Helen Roseveare there in Nebo! It’s amazing to see these young people working hard to protect and save so many lives! The work that Matthias and Sabina are a part of is SO exciting. What exciting work it must be to save physical lives AND spiritual souls here in Congo :) And so my exciting day continued…Wednesday evening, there was an important football match taking place in South Africa…Ghana vs. Germany! Since I was with three Germans, of course I rooted for them…I think I might have been asked to sleep outside with the snakes had I cheered for Ghana :) So, the 4 of us went “downtown Nebo” to a little hut filled with excited Congolese where we paid 150 francs to watch the match on a little TV. It was a great game (I don’t know if any of you watched it??) and Germany won, 1-0 :)

Okay, now for the most exciting part of my week, possibly my LIFE thus far…(a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously…!!!)
Yesterday, after a morning of waiting for the truck (my ride back to Isiro!) to return from making all its pick-up’s and drop-off’s, Sabina comes running to me… “Jodi! Come quick!...” A woman was having a cesarean operation and Sabina wanted me to come WATCH!!! I hurried with her over to the operation room where I put on scrubs (the robe and head covering) and a cloth to cover my mouth with. I couldn’t believe it. I was about to witness the most incredible event of a human’s life…I watched as the doctor cut open this woman’s stomach, reach IN and pull out a little PERSON!!!!

AHH!!!!

On June 24th, 2010, God brought into this world the most precious little boy, 5lbs 7ounces, and I got to experience his first breath. It all happened so fast, and I could barely believe my eyes. I thought (and still feel like!) I was dreaming; it was so unreal. Sabina let me carry him from the operation building to the maternity ward where we weighed him and gave him to the mother’s family members who then washed him and clothed him. It’s beautiful how everyone in the family helps :) Wow. It was just such an incredible experience and is something I will never ever forget. I wonder if I’ll ever meet the little boy in the coming years…

So there you have it…the past 2 weeks in a nut shell!! If you want to know any further details about anything, shoot me an email. I’d be glad to fill you in! :)

As for the next few days…John VanderMeer arrives back home today from being gone for work! And tomorrow we have our grand concert! (we invited about 100 people…so we’ll see how many end up showing up…!!!) Please pray for that, though…I truly hope that God is glorified (He’s the guest of honor!) and that the people who come feel loved and that their hearts are overflowing with joy as they leave. We’re playing about 40 minutes of music all together; music that is quite different from Congolese! The VDM’s have been working so hard to prepare for it, and I know that Jesus will bless their efforts! I hope it’s an all around great experience for everyone :) And on Monday…I leave! (Well, Lord willing, I’ll leave for Bunia…His plans, like I mentioned above, always are the best. And here in Africa, ANYthing is possible!) I’ll be in Bunia spending time with the Rassmusen’s from Monday-Friday and then leaving for Kenya on Friday! My time here is coming to an end, quickly!! It’s amazing how time flies by.

This trip has just been incredible. God has been incredible!!! I keep finding out more and more about His love and how He simply loves us…US!? Wow.

Well, I better stop here before I write a novel of a blog post…

Much love to you all,
Peace and Joy through Jesus Christ our LORD, Savior and dear Companion,
Ya Jo (“ya” is short for “ya ya”…older sibling/friend)

Prayer requests:
- For the concert tomorrow evening! That God will be praised and that the entire evening will be a joyful melody to God’s ears
- For my last three days here…that I will simply ENJOY every moment that I have and not think too much about leaving.
- And please continue to pray for the people of Congo…that leaders who fear the LORD and love Him will be put into positions within the communities, churches, and governments, so that they can impact the entire nation for the glory of God

3 comments:

  1. JODI BAGGE!

    WOW! God is teaching you so much and throwing you into amazing experiences. I am so proud of you and so happy for you, especially since you saw that precious baby born into this world. Isn't it just the sweetest miracle? :) I will be praying for you lots, Jo, as you wrap up and travel home.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me what Mundala means? We are adopting a young boy from DRC and he only has a first name. The passport office put Mundala down in the slot for the last name, and I wondered if it had any kind of meaning.

    Of course, he is going to have our last name now :-) Thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete