Monday, May 17, 2010

Almost to Congo.



Well, it’s been a fantastic week here in Nairobi. Full of many new experiences and lots of new friends! I’ve been spending the past 5 days resting, getting to know the BTL members and their families, and the typical…being sick. Yes, I was blessed with some kind of bug on Thursday that wouldn’t leave me alone until Friday morning. It ended up being a bit of a blessing in disguise though, because I was able to spend most of Thursday evening resting (6 hour nap!) and another 6 hours of sleep Thursday night. And by Friday morning when I woke up, my stomach felt much much better. The bug has been going around and many of the people here at BTL have had it or are currently dealing with it. It’s basically like a 24 hour flu.

Aside from being sick…I’ve been enjoying my stay in Nairobi very much. The Wycliffe workers here are so welcoming and I’ve gotten to spend quite a bit of time in their homes sharing meals with them. It’s been so lovely! I got to spend Saturday afternoon with a family who is working with DOORs, a group that is working to translate the Bible for the deaf communities all around the world. Their family is interested in learning violin and they had bought 2 violins awhile ago. SO, I got to spend the afternoon playing “violin teacher”, and many other roles as I played with their very animated children :) I’ve also had the opportunity to attend the church where many of the BTL workers go (Karen Vineyard), which is located just outside of Nairobi. And after church a bunch of us went out to Ethiopian! It was fantastic food and wonderful company.

So, many of you might be wondering…why is Jodi still in Nairobi? Isn’t she supposed to be on a plane to Congo right now? You’re correct in wondering…I AM supposed to be on a plane to Congo, but, God had some other plans in mind :) In order for me to have flown out today, I needed to have my visa completed by the Congolese embassy, and when we went to pick it up (or “pick it” as they say here in Kenya) on Friday, it wasn’t ready! So, we had to move my flight from today (Monday) to Wednesday. It actually has worked out quite nicely, because it’s given me more time to spend here, getting to know the people who work here. Jesus knows what’s best, and Lord willing, I’ll fly out on Wednesday, Congo visa in hand! We’ll be checking on my visa tomorrow morning, because today is a holiday in Congo, so the embassy was closed.

Today Karen Bradley took me and two of her kids out to see the Elephant Orphanage located just outside of Nairobi! It was so much fun! The elephants were so sweet and had been rescued from the wild because of unfortunate circumstances.

Some of them had gotten separated from their family, or else they were ill and were in need of immediate medical attention. On the way to the reserve, we drove past a family of baboons running alongside the road! Don’t see that every day in the states…AND you don’t see baboon road kill too often either…poor little monkey :(

Well, it’s been quite interesting being here and experiencing all of this by myself. I know that I’m not “alone” by any means, but I’ve been realizing that this is the first trip that I’ve made where I am really doing this by myself! Even when I’ve traveled alone in the past it’s been because of Capernwray, where everyone else is in the SAME boat that you’re in. So, I’ve been exploring what that looks like and asking God more questions about how to best go through this experience and learn from whatever I face. He has been so faithful to speak to me…I just need to be faithful in giving Him the opportunity to SPEAK! I’ve been reading through the letters of Peter and John, and they have been extremely comforting and have given me the strength to continue to be strong through the week. Even if I begin to feel alone, I know that I have the greatest Companion of all :)

Thank you so much for all your support as you pray for me!! I can feel your prayers here in Nairobi. God is so faithful and every day I see His provision and His faithfulness. It’s amazing how when we are specific in our prayers, He is specific in His answers :) He answers when we cry out to Him.

Until next post!
Much love.

Prayers:
-For my visa tomorrow!!
-That I will have a safe flight into Congo on Wednesday (Lord willing!) and that I won’t have any trouble with the flights…I have to fly alone, instead of with someone. (If I would have flown out today, I would have flown with an ECG member who has been working in Congo for years now.)
-For my health…my silly stomach just isn’t too happy with me
-That God will continue to open my eyes, ears and heart to His plan
-And a thanksgiving for all the people here who have made such a lovely welcome (“Karibu” in Swahili!) to me. They are all so kind and generous and I am learning so much from them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's so wonderful to hear from you--I feel like you're sitting here with me telling me all about it! I've been praying for you daily and will continue to do so--God has wonderful plans even when they're different than we think they will be. His will and His way are good. I love you so much Jo! xxx

    ReplyDelete